Saturday, October 21, 2006

Why is a Weak Gospel Presented?

Have any of you ever attended a 5th quarter? If you have not, then let me tell you. A 5th quarter is an evangelistic endevour following a high school football game. Hence 5th quarter. I guess you can have one after a basketball game too. You can have one after any sport for that matter as long as it has four quarters. Anyway, I attened one tonight in Chesnee, SC. I must say, the gospel was not presented. Yes the speaker mentioned Christ crucified, but nothing was said about repentance. Nothing was said about you must be born again. The whole thing was an illustration of playing the game of life without Jesus is like trying to play a football game without the football. The whole thing was "God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life." "Jesus died for you." I am sorry! If you never believe the gospel and repent, then Jesus did not die for you. Whatever happened to preaching the gospel and saying something like Jesus died to pay the penalty for sin. But that is left out of the modern gospel! People, especially youth, are told that God loves you so much He died for you.

What are your experiences with hearing the gospel presented wrongly, if it was presented at all at a so-called evangelistic event? If you had such an experience, how did you handle the situation. Did you approach the speaker or anyone involved in the event? You see, I know some of the people involved in this 5th quarter. I know the speaker as well. He knows I differ doctrinally than him. He knows I am a Calvinist. The one thing, outside of Jesus being the only way to the Father, that we agree on is that we both are not dispensationalists. Right now I am struggling with how do I approach these people in a spirit of Christ-like love and humility. The last thing I want to do is sound like I am this arrogant Calvinist who thinks he is right and everyone else is absolutely wrong.

Any feedback or comments on the matter will be greatly appreciated. You are free to comment with your questions and concerns about this matter. We can reason them together and edify one another.

Soli Deo Gloria!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home